Training and Temporary Activity Visas in Australia

Training and Temporary Activity Visas in Australia

If you would like to up skill yourself and create better prospects for your future then one way is to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This can be achieved through the Training Visa which allows the applicant to stay and work under a sponsored employee for no longer than 2 years.

While the Temporary Activity Visa allows people from different industries such as Entertainment, Sports, Religious and other Special programs to come and perform in Australia for the duration of the event.

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

Training Visa allows you to travel and stay in Australia on a temporary basis and participate in occupational training or professional development. It is suitable if you want to develop your skills to improve your professional career or want a practical approach to maximise the potential in your current occupation.

3 streams of Training Visa

Workplace-based training required for registration: if you require registration, membership or licensing to start an occupation in your home country or in Australia

Structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation: if you are nominated by an approved temporary activities sponsor in Australia for an occupation specified in the list of eligible skilled occupations and require structured workplace-based training to enhance your skills for that occupation

Training that promotes capacity building overseas:  if you require training as part of your overseas study or are supported by an Australian or overseas government organisation or you are a professional or management level employee of an overseas organisation.

It is important to know that workplace-based training (except professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 percent can be classroom-based.

Training and Temporary Activity Visas in Australia

Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408)

Temporary Activity Visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in various short stay activities.

Eligibility streams for this Visa

Entertainment: To work in the entertainment industry – in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Invited participant in an event: For people who are invited by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious or other community events. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 3 months.

Mixed race woman standing in the door of her cafe

Research: Academics with significant achievement in their field of endeavour who are invited to collaborate in a research project; or Students or research graduates who wish to undertake a research activity related to their field of study. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Religious worker: To be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Special program: To participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits, non-profit organisation or government agency. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 12 months.

Sports: To be able to:
  • Play, coach or instruct, or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation;
  • Participate in a high-level sports training program;
  • Receiving training from a team operating at the national level.

The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Training and Temporary visitor Visas in Australia

Staff exchange

Australian Migrant Women Standing Infront of His Work Place

To work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:

  • Give participants an opportunity to experience another culture;
  • Enhance international relations;
  • Broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.

The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Superyacht crew: To be employed as a superyacht crew member on board a superyacht in Australia. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 12 months.

Domestic worker: To do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives. The maximum stay period for this stream is up to 2 years.

Australian Government endorsed event: To participate in a government endorsed major event usually specified by legislative instrument.  Unlike the other options, this stream does not require sponsorship and results in a visa of up to 4 years duration.

Eligibility for Applicants

  • Meet age requirements (if applicable)
  • Have the skills to undertake the activity
  • Be supported or sponsored
  • Intend to stay in Australia temporarily
  • Meet vocational English Requirement (if applicable)
  • Have adequate financial support
  • Have adequate arrangement for health insurance
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Meet additional requirements of chosen activity stream
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

For visa applicant under any activity type there must be a:

  • ‘Sponsor’ who passes the sponsorship test in relation to the applicant; or
  • ‘Supporter’ who passes the support test in relation to the applicant where the application is made offshore and the proposed period of stay is up to 3 months.

Applicants need to do the work or activity specified in their visa application. You can either be in Australia or outside Australia while lodging the application.

Eligibility for Sponsors

The sponsor applicant must be one of the following types of individuals or organisations:

  • Australian organisation
  • Government agency
  • Foreign government agency
  • Religious institution
  • Sporting organisation
  • Superyacht organisation

Advantages of Subclass 408 visa

  • Stay in Australia
  • Participate in specified work or activity
  • Bring eligible family members to Australia
  • Enter and leave Australia as many times

Contact us: 0457 504 922


Training and temporary activity visas in australia

Get In Touch

Palmer Migration and Education Services is a distinguished firm focusing on immigration and student services to corporate and individual clients.

Who we help

Contact us